Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Press release syndrome

Writing non-stop.
Writing non-sense.
Sometimes, that’s what I end up feeling when there’s no time left to recharge.

No decent time to read.

Not even a decent time for sleep, or to make music or pursue other hobbies, such as weekend bash in the dunes on four wheels.

By the time I’m done for the day, usually by midnight, I’d be so wasted.
The gym and the pool would be closed by then, anyway.

I think my other colleagues also feel the same way.

As for the monetary rewards … I heard there’s a pay raise in the cards by next month.
Until I see the figures in my bank statement, that remains a hope against hope.
Also starting February 1, the paper will start with the experiment of a five-day workweek, as in two consecutive days off.

That’s thanks in no small part to the brilliant, forward-looking managers of the publication group.

A two-day weekend in something quite unheard of in this parts, where labor laws have not completely shed off the feudal, or tribal, frame of mind.

Passports are still being kept by personnel departments(though they are made available upon written request, signed by bosses).

* * *

Got two books of Deepak Chopra today, and have them signed by the mind-medicine guru himself at the Jumeirah Hotel, where he gave the keynote of the Wellbeing Show.

The queue for the book-signing session included Dubai’s glitterati and even medical doctors who believe in the body’s ability to heal itself.

Leafing through the first pages, and after listening to Deepak’s 1-1/2 hour lecture on the healing powers of meditation, I think he’s not way off the mark.

Meditation, like fasting, is something present in all religions. It breaks the continuity in one’s life, a refuge from the ego, the world and the tensions it creates.

Ergo, one becomes at peace with his inner self, not needing anyone to be happy.

Which is what I so badly need right now.

* * *

It been a pretty tiring day.

Only a few hours of sleep and it's back to the ground again.

It's almost 10pm and I still had to meet this business guy who's behind one of the national pavilions at the Global Village.

I just pray I won't have to drive through snail-paced traffic for the last 8 to 10km before I reach the entrance, like the previous weekend.

Amid the jostling and blaring horns, a press pass does nothing to make one's car fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home